I used to love to go to our favorite Italian restaurant and get the bread that was served before the food. It was so good dipped in the olive oil that had been steeped with herbs. Yum! After I was diagnosed with celiac disease, those days were gone…until now!
I decided to make my own Focaccia bread and recreate that wonderful herb and garlic infused olive oil to dip it in. It turned out wonderful! I adapted my pizza dough recipe and it really tastes delicious.
I used a smaller sized 10″ x 15″ pan for this. It is important to prep the pan with a generous brushing of olive oil. This helps get the bread crusty on the outside.
I used the same technique of spreading the dough out into the pan as I did for my pizza crust. I used a plastic sandwich bag and poured olive oil over my hand and onto the dough. Then I pressed the dough into the pan.
After I spread the dough out, I “dimpled” the dough with my fingertips.
Then I sprinkled it with sea salt and more grated Parmesan. Finally it went into a cold oven. This allowed the bread to slowly raise while the oven was preheating. You could let it raise on the counter and it would be slightly puffier. But the cold oven approach works great, and is much faster. This bread comes together in 15 minutes of hands on time, and bakes in 30-35 minutes. So in about 50 minutes, you can serve a delicious bread with your meal. Wonderful! Enjoy!
- 1¼ c lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1½ c De's mix - gluten free flour
- ⅓ c almond meal
- ⅓ c sweet rice flour
- ⅓ c dry milk powder
- 1½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ c grated Parmesan, plus more for the top
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Garlic and Herb Infused Olive Oil:
- Olive oil - ¼ to ½ cup
- 1-2 garlic cloves, smashed or minced
- ½ to 1 teaspoon dried herbs: oregano, thyme, or Herbes de Provence
- Spray 10 X 15 inch pan with cooking spray and generously brush with olive oil.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm water and let sit until bubbly.
- Place dry ingredients in bowl of stand mixer.
- Add yeast mixture and olive oil and blend well on low speed.
- Pour dough into pan, and spread with hand covered in plastic bag using olive oil. (See picture)
- Dimple dough with fingertips and sprinkle with sea salt and more grated Parmesan.
- Place in cold oven on middle rack.
- Turn oven on to 350 and bake bread for 30-35 minutes until nicely browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- While bread is baking, make olive oil:
- In small sauce pan, place olive oil, garlic, and herbs. Heat over low heat until garlic is sizzling. Turn off heat and let garlic and herbs steep in oil while bread is baking.